Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Year of the Hendrix





















We know that each civilization has its own ways of naming years. The Chinese have the most popular 'naming conventions'... I, for one, was born on the year of the rooster... I would have preferred a ferocious dragon or a majestic lion... rooster? But who can help? I was lost in thoughts as the year 2005 quietly slipped by...

I figured that we needed our own conventions... I was tripping on Hendrix as these thoughts ran freely and the music flowed... Why not years after classic rock stars? I mean, most of them are not alive. So, any legend status you gonna give them, the future generations will buy. Even the guys alive have already been elevated to a high level. Thats it... The years will be named after these people.

To start with, I toyed with the 'year of the Zeppelin' or the 'year of the Stones'... But Hendrix's music was too arresting. I always liked the way the guy went about his music with a laid back attitude. The raw electric sound coupled with black American voice worked wonders for my mood.

My top picks from the man:

1. When the wind cries Mary
("somewhere the queen is weeping,
somewhere the king has no wife...)

2. Hey Joe (the Experience's first song)

3. Voodoo Child (need I say more)

4. Manish Boy (Muddy Waters cover)

5. All along the watchtower (a true classic)

Lets salute the year of the Hendrix

Afterthought:

As Vijay (my rock guru) has pointed out, I have let some great numbers slip. I'll mention them here... Now I'm pretty confused with the order. So, let me take the liberty to say: 'The songs are in no particular order'.

6. Foxy Lady (you have to see Wayne's World to appreciate this lick)

7. Crosstown Traffic (The man's voice weaves the magic)

8. Are you experienced? (Guitars!)

2 Comments:

At 6:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Foxy Lady? Crosstown Traffic? Are you Experienced?

 
At 7:20 pm, Blogger Vasanth Rao said...

Hmmm... Crosstown Traffic. No question at all... and Are you experienced? I'm kicking meself for not mentioning it. The guitar riff is too arresting. I guess I'd have to make the chart top Eight. I'd do it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



© WWF www.panda.org
© FREE Tibet! www.freetibet.org

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs 2.5 License.

Support Amnesty International